Current Job Openings
The Rogue Valley Chorale is currently offering these job openings.
Youth Chorus Director (6th-8th graders)
About the Rogue Valley Chorale Association
Rogue Valley Chorale (RVC) was founded in 1973 to provide a forum for performing a wide variety of choral music including classical, contemporary, commissioned works, Broadway, sacred, major works, spirituals, world, and folk genres. The Rogue Valley Chorale Association (RVCA) was created when the organization started the second chorus in 1983 and the Children’s Chorus was formed. The RVCA now has four choruses ranging from 3rd grade through adulthood. These choruses include: Children’s Chorus — 3rd–5th grade, Cantare Chorus — 6th–8th grade, Youth Ensemble — 9th–12th grade, and the Rogue Valley Chorale — Adult Chorus. The mission is to inspire and enrich all members of our community through great choral music performed by choruses of all ages. RVCA contributes to the cultural atmosphere of Southern Oregon by providing audiences with exceptional choral concerts. The Executive Director and Board of Directors provide leadership, strategic planning, and fiscal oversight for the organization. It is the job of this leadership to provide support so that the mission and artistic vision of the RVCA can be actualized.
Description: The Music Director provides the artistic vision for one youth chorus of the three and is responsible for the musical leadership and direction in conjunction with the other two Youth Chorus Directors. The Music Director works with and reports to the Executive Director to strengthen the Rogue Valley Chorale Association and continue the mission set forth by the Board.
Hours: Part-time averaging approximately 6–8 hours per week
- Bachelor’s degree in music
- At least three years of conducting in a school or community chorus
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Willingness to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends
- Extensive work with children’s programming and directing
- Degree in music education
- Experience with non-profit musical organizations
The position consists primarily of music selection, score preparation, and directing the chorus, which requires standing, manual dexterity, and upper body range of motion for up to three hours at a time during rehearsals and concerts. Eyesight adequate for reading small print music, and hearing that can distinguish the volume and tonality of the chorus is required.
The Music Director supports the mission of the RVCA by:
- Selecting repertoire that is challenging, creative, and of interest to singers and the community according to the DEI standards for the organization
- Working with the organization’s committees as needed to enhance and support the artistic programming.
- Scheduling rehearsal dates to ensure that the music is concert ready to perform by the specific youth chorus
- Selecting artistic personnel (soloists and guest artists) and working with the Chair of the Youth Chorus Committee to make recommendations for the accompanist, chorus manager, and rehearsal assistants.
- Preparing scores, conducting and providing direction during rehearsals and concerts to the singers of YC, accompanists, and guest artists; conducting two to three programs annually
- Supporting Rogue Valley Chorale (RVC) by partnering with the RVC director to create collaborative concert programming when appropriate
- Providing monthly reports to the Board of Directors regarding concerts, singers, guest artist status, and other projects and attending board meetings when requested
- Conducting auditions annually and at other times as needed
- Using his/her discretion to terminate singer participation due to inability to meet musical expectations, disruptive personal conduct, Inability to meet punctuality and attendance requirements, or behavior that violates stated discrimination or harassment policies while following all code of conduct policies
- Participate in marketing, fundraising, and recruitment events when available
- Coordinate with the section managers
- Prepare all needed documentation including but not limited to student newsletters, material needed for the program, and monthly chorus reports.
How to Apply
Submit applications or request further information by emailing: email@example.com
or mail to:
Attn: Brad Nelson
PO BOX 1437
Phoenix, OR 97535
Include a cover letter, resume, three letters of professional recommendation (include title, email, and phone number), and a list of organizations directed for.
Applications will be accepted until: May 26, 2023
The Rogue Valley Chorale Association is a 501(c)(3), nonprofit organization. All donations are tax-deductible to the extent of the law.