ARTISTIC DIRECTOR POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT
Part-time averaging approximately 10 hours per week
The Rogue Valley Chorale is a highly respected, 100-member, auditioned, community-based chorus that presents a wide variety of choral works. Read a job description for the position below.
Primary responsibilities include overall artistic leadership, repertoire selection and conducting all rehearsals and concerts. Successful applicants will demonstrate the following qualifications;
• bachelor’s degree
• advanced study in choral conducting preferred
• three or more years conducting college/university or community choruses is desirable
• orchestral experience is desirable
• excellent understanding of vocal technique and diction
Compensation is negotiable commensurate with experience.
Submit applications to: email@example.com or mail to:
Rogue Valley Chorale Association
724 S. Central Ave. Suite 102
Medford, OR 97537
Include cover letter, resume, three letters of recommendation (include title, email and phone number), a list of works conducted in the past three years.
Applications will be accepted until January 8, 2018, or until the position is filled.
To download the Artistic Director Position Announcement click here.
Artistic Director Job Description
To download the Artistic Director Job Description click here.
The Artistic Director is the artistic leader of the Rogue Valley Chorale.
Description: The Artistic Director provides the artistic vision of the Rogue Valley Chorale (RVC) and is responsible for the leadership and direction of every aspect of the performances by the chorus. The Artistic Director works in conjunction and in consultation with the Operations Manager.
The Artistic Director reports to the Board of Directors.
Hours: Part-time averaging approximately 10 hours per week
- Bachelor’s degree in music, advanced study in choral conducting preferred
- At least three years choral conducting experience
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Willingness to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends
- Master’s degree in music
- Experience with non-profit musical organizations
- Experience in marketing and fundraising
The position is primarily music selection, score preparation and directing the chorus, which requires standing, manual dexterity and upper body range of motion for up to three hours at a time during rehearsals and concerts. Eyesight adequate for reading small print music, and hearing that can distinguish volume and tonality of the chorus is required.
The Artistic Director supports the mission of the Rogue Valley Chorale Association by:
- Working with the Artistic Committee to choose musical programs that are challenging, creative and of interest to singers and the community, selecting concert dates and ensuring that the selected music is ready to perform by the chorus, collaborating with the marketing committee (and other committees as needed) on artistic aspects of performance
- Selecting all artistic personnel (soloists and guest artists) with board approval, collaborating with local arts organizations
- Preparing scores, conducting and providing direction during rehearsals and concerts to the singers of the Rogue Valley Chorale, accompanists and guest artists; conducting at least three programs (6 concerts) annually
- Assisting the Board of Directors in hiring and overseeing accompanists
- Supporting educational programs for youth by fostering a positive relationship among the Rogue Valley Chorale, Rogue Valley Youth Choruses and the community
- Participating in the development and implementation of a strategic plan in conjunction with the Board of Directors
- Representing the Chorale to the public by attending meetings with the Operations Manager and/or Board Members, making radio, TV and other public appearances and attending community functions
- Providing monthly reports to the Board of Directors regarding concerts, singers, guest artist status and other projects
- Participating in an annual evaluation process
- Conducting auditions annually and at other times as needed
- Participating in fundraising by cultivating relationships with donors and providing requested information for grants
- Participating in musical and professional organizations locally and nationally
- Working with the Board of Directors to carry out other objectives as assigned (example; writing program notes, newsletter articles)
In coordination with the Board of Directors, the Artistic Director:
- Attends the annual budget meeting to develop a comprehensive artistic plan that reflects projected expenses for the fiscal year; deviations from the annual budget require Board of Directors approval
- Works with the Operations Manager to negotiate contracts with guest artists
- Fosters relationships and collaborations with arts peers in the community